MoH/BMHC/06/2014/079 April 29, 2014
Bhutan Medical and Health Council (BMHC) have been informed that Dietitians and Nutritionist are prescribing medicines and Laboratory test.
Prescribing of medicine and laboratory tests are not within the scope of practice of Dietitians and Nutritionist. Therefore BMHC would like to inform all concerned management in the Hospitals and Health centers to ensure that Dietitians and Nutritionist practice their profession within the scope of their practice as prescribed by the Council which are as listed below;
- Prescribes diet and nutrition requirement for hospital in-patients as per their conditions.
- Supervises the storage and preparation of patient diets in the hospitals.
- Provides health teaching to the patients and relatives and counsels them on diet requirement.
- Prepares diet recipes for the hospital use and trains the hospital cooks how to prepare it.
- Supervises the store staff and hospital cooks and provides training to them
- Provides on-the-job training to RIHS students in case of JDWNR hospital
- Evaluate the nutritional needs of patients
- Consulate with other health professionals on nutrition management for individual patients
- Educate public about nutrition
- Research the affect of nutrients on the body
This is for compliance by all those concerned and disciplinary actions will be taken as per the Bhutan Medical & Health Council Regulation 2005, if anybody is found to be not complying with this notification
Thanking you and we look forward for your cooperation.
- PS to the Hon’ble Lyonpo/ President/BMHC,for kind appraisal
- PS to Hon’ble Secretary,MoH,for kind appraisal
- Director General, Department of Public Health for kind information
- Director General, Department of Medical Services for kind information
- Chief Medical Officer, RBA, Lungtenphu Military Hospital, for kind information
- Medical Director, JDWNRH, for kind information and necessary action
- All the Dzongkhag Health Officer, for kind information and necessary action
- All the Medical Superintendents,ERRH, CRRH and Phuntsholing Hospital for information and necessary action
- All the CMOs, for kind information and necessary action
- All the Medical Officers,BHU Grade 1, for information and necessary action